How can I get rid of melasma?

To get rid of melasma, topical lightening creams that contain hydroquinone, licorice root extract, retinol and ascorbic acid (vitamin C) are most effective, David Bank, MD, president of the New York State Society for Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery, told us. Bank adds that diligent use of sunscreen can sometimes even fade mild cases on its own.

If you choose to go the in-office melasma treatment route, Fraxel ($500-$1500) is the preferred laser treatment today, and may be used in conjunction with bleaching pads or peels that contain kojic, glycolic or citric acid ($150-300), say the experts.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
How is lichen sclerosis treated?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
Steroids are the almost magical cure for lichen sclerosis (LS), but it needs to be the right steroid...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Is Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?