How can I get rid of melasma?

To get rid of melasma, topical lightening creams that contain hydroquinone, licorice root extract, retinol and ascorbic acid (vitamin C) are most effective, David Bank, MD, president of the New York State Society for Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery, told us. Bank adds that diligent use of sunscreen can sometimes even fade mild cases on its own.

If you choose to go the in-office melasma treatment route, Fraxel ($500-$1500) is the preferred laser treatment today, and may be used in conjunction with bleaching pads or peels that contain kojic, glycolic or citric acid ($150-300), say the experts.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Potential Health Risks of Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD, is a chronic condition known for causing dry, irritated, itchy patches on the skin. It affects between 10 a...
How can I avoid getting epidermolysis bullosa if it runs in my family?
Epidermolysis bullosa is caused by flaws or mutations in certain genes. If you inherited one of ...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?