How does dermatitis affect the body?

Continuous scratching due to dermatitiscan lead to the development of thick, hard skin. Chronic dermatitis, which persists over a period of time, can produce cracks and blisters in the skin, which may lead to a bacterial infection. In addition, the appearance of your skin can cause you to feel self conscious and can lead to social isolation.

Talk with your dermatologist about how you can manage dermatitis symptoms. 

The most common way your body will be affected by dermatitis is the red, itchy rash on your skin. If you scratch the rash, you may create open sores on your skin. Those open sores can become infected with bacteria. A doctor should treat any skin infection. Dermatitis can also lead to scars or to different skin color where the rash occurred.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Risks and Causes
Hereditary angioedima (HAE) is a rare condition that causes attacks of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Darria Long-Gillespie, Senior Vice Presiden...
What can a doctor do for melasma?
While melasma sometimes clears up on its own, especially if it was caused by pregnancy or taking...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?