How do medications treat dermatitis?

Several different medications treat dermatitis with different mechanisms and side effects.

Corticosteroids:
  • used to lessen swelling and allergic reactions
  • side effects: thin skin, infections, and slowed growth in children
  • side effects of oral corticosteroids: skin damage, bones that thin or are weak, high blood pressure and blood sugar, and infections

Immunomodulators:

• used to help inflammation by reducing the immune system's reaction
  • side effects: burning and itching during shortly after first use

Antibiotics:

• used to treat bacterial infections in the skin

Antihistamines:

• used to lessen itchiness
Medications treat certain types of dermatitis by relieving itching. This helps the person to stop scratching the affected area. In other cases, medications are used to clear up bacterial infections. The medication used, and how it works, depends on the type of dermatitis the person has. Ask your doctor about medications used to relieve dermatitis. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Do I Get the Most Out of a Telehealth Appointment?
In this video, dermatologist Michelle Henry, MD, covers all the things to consider for a successful telehealth appointment.
How can I avoid getting Darier-White Disease if it runs in my family?
Darier-White disease (also known as Darier disease) is caused by a faulty gene. If Darier-White ...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?