How do I manage my albinism?

Coping with albinism includes making adjustments to deal with vision impairments associated with the condition and carefully protecting skin from the sun. Additionally, it is important to seek support for the emotional impacts. Support groups can be very effective, as it can be helpful to spend time with others coping with the same condition.

People with albinism should make sure they have yearly eye and skin exams. These exams look for changes in the eyes that may lead to vision problems as well as for changes in the skin that may lead to skin cancer. It is also important to limit sun exposure, especially at times and in places when sunburns are most likely. For example, mid-day sun and sun at high altitudes may be especially strong. Wearing sunscreen and sunglasses that block both types of ultraviolet rays will help you maintain eye health.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Atopic Dermatitis: Questions for Your Pediatrician
Atopic dermatitis is a common condition that affects millions of people. Most people with atopic dermatitis first experience symptoms as children, typ...
What makes the skin on my hand get hot, thicken and peel every few months?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Many factors can make the skin of one or both hands become irritated and then thicken, and then begi...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?