How is CREST syndrome linked to scleroderma?

Limited cutaneous scleroderma is often called CREST syndrome. No, it’s not the tuft of feathers on the top of the head. It actually is a very creative (not!) acronym that includes the first letter of all common symptoms associated with limited cutaneous scleroderma. They include

• Calcinosis, calcium deposits under the skin

• Raynaud’s phenomenon, the discoloration in the fingers in response to the cold or anxiety

• Esophageal motility dysfunction, prevents food from moving into the stomach

• Sclerodactyl, the tightening of the skin on fingers and toes

• Telangiectasia, the swelling of tiny blood vessels in the hands and face that cause red spots.
CREST syndrome is a type of limited or systemic scleroderma that can affect not only the skin, but internal organs as well.

CREST syndrome, also called limited scleroderma, is a form of scleroderma that is usually less severe than other cases. The letters in its name stand for the symptoms: Calcium deposits, Raynaud's syndrome, Esophageal dysfunction, Sclerodactyly (damage to the skin on fingers), and Telangiectasia (dilation of the blood vessels). Like other types of scleroderma, there is no known cure for CREST syndrome, and treatment options are largely the same.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Atopic Dermatitis Can Hurt Your Mental Health
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as AD or eczema, is a skin condition that affects nearly 18 million adults and over 9 million children in the Uni...
How do I find a support group for a skin condition?
If you would like to join a support group for people who have your skin condition, ask your doct...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?