How can I control pimples on my scalp?

Pimples on the scalp aren't really pimples. They're seborrheic dermatitis, or what's known as cradle cap in babies. It occurs more frequently than we realize in adults; it's just harder to see. Often it's linked to yeast fungus, although stress, fatigue and winter weather sometimes trigger "breakouts."

If it's mild, you may be able to control it with a non-prescription antifungal solution, such as 1% ketoconazole lotion. A daily application of tea tree oil or weekly use of a coal tar shampoo may help, too. Also, wash your hair daily with a mild shampoo to keep your scalp and hair clear of oil, debris and dead skin cells.

If that doesn't work, see a dermatologist. You may need a prescription treatment.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Risks and Causes
Hereditary angioedima (HAE) is a rare condition that causes attacks of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Darria Long-Gillespie, Senior Vice Presiden...
How often should I see a dermatologist?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
You should see a dermatologist once a year for a skin exam. Have your children checked annually from...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?