How does contact dermatitis affect the body?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Depending on its severity and frequency, contact dermatitis can have a minor to major affect on your body. If you are irritated by a substance you can usually stay away from, you may have minor rashes once in a while. But if you often encounter allergens, the resulting rashes could have a major impact on your life. Besides being itchy, allergic rashes might blister and cause swelling and pain. Scratching your rash too much could lead to infection.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

15 Things to Record in Your Chronic Hives Symptom Journal
Living with chronic hives can be frustrating and challenging. Known by the clinical name chronic urticaria, chronic hives recur and persist for a peri...
Differences Between Inducible and Spontaneous Chronic Hives
Hives—also known as wheals, or by their clinical name, urticaria—are red, raised, swollen welts that appear on the surface of the skin. Up to one half...
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?