How common is scleroderma in children?

Although it is much less common in children than in adults, cases of pediatric scleroderma are known to occur. Among children with the disorder, localized scleroderma is more common than systemic scleroderma, but systemic scleroderma does occur. Symptoms tend to be less severe in children than in adults, and generally include mostly skin changes and less organ damage. When organ damage does occur, it generally affects the gastrointestinal tract. Children with the disease generally have a better survival rate than adults, but skin tightness and thickening in childhood can lead to disabilities as the child grows.

Dianne Parker
Dianne Parker on behalf of MDLIVE
Pediatrics
The annual incidence of scleroderma is 4.5 to 14 per million people and is even rarer in children, with localized more common than systemic symptoms.

Juvenile scleroderma is uncommon. It typically is diagnosed in children who can drive (over 16 years of age). Raynaud’s phenomenon, the blanching or blue discoloration of the finger in response to the cold or anxiety is often the first sign of the disease. In addition, children are more likely to develop localized, linear scleroderma where bands or streaks of harden skin develop on one arm, leg, or side of the forehead.

Scleroderma can affect people of all ages. However, it is most commonly diagnosed for the first time in adults over age 25.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Atopic Dermatitis: Questions for Your Pediatrician
Atopic dermatitis is a common condition that affects millions of people. Most people with atopic dermatitis first experience symptoms as children, typ...
What should I do before using a product to treat a skin condition?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Before selecting a product to treat a skin condition, it is a good idea to have professional adv...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?