How should I cleanse my skin if I have pityriasis rosea?

Pityriasis rosea is a common skin rash that may itch, so you should take care to wash the affected area carefully using a gentle cleanser and lukewarm, not hot, water. If the water is hot or you become overheated in too warm a bath, the rash can get worse.

Generally, pityriasis rosea lasts about four to six weeks and usually occurs in the spring or fall. If you have a skin rash and suspect pityriasis rosea, talk to your doctor or dermatologist for a diagnosis and treatment options.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
What medications are used to treat skin inflammation?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
The most common type of medication used to treat skin inflammation is a steroid cream, which can dec...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Is Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?