What do I need to know about caring for someone with perioral dermatitis?

When caring for someone with perioral dermatitis, remind the person to follow the treatment plan prescribed by the dermatologist, which may include the use of topical medications or oral antibiotics. Encourage the person to avoid the use of skin creams containing steroids. Perioral dermatitis is difficult to treat, and months of treatment may be required. The red bumps may return, especially if creams containing steroids are reapplied to the face.
When caring for someone with perioral dermatitis, you may be able to help the person by making sure they follow the doctor's advice--using prescribed medications as directed, or avoiding topical corticosteroids and toothpaste with fluoride, for example.  It is vital to remain compassionate about what they are going through. Most people with the condition react most strongly to the changes it brings in their appearance. Be aware of this, and the impact it has on their self-esteem. Additionally, the long course of treatment, and the fact that the disorder can return even after successful treatment can cause demoralization. Lending an understanding ear in tough times can work wonders for the other person's state of mind.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
Should I worry about my health if I have stretch marks?
Nearly 70 percent of women have stretch marks, and usually they're a result of pregnancy or chan...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?