What do I need to know about caring for someone with nummular dermatitis?

If someone in your care has nummular dermatitis, doctors recommend several steps to help control the symptoms and monitor the condition.
  • Prevent dry skin. Dry skin can trigger itchiness and other symptoms of nummular dermatitis. After the person you're caring for bathes, make sure he or she applies moisturizer to the affected skin before toweling off. This helps the skin retain moisture. 
  • Eliminate triggers. Certain irritants can worsen symptoms of nummular dermatitis, such as wearing wool clothing and eating certain foods. 
  • Provide medication. If a doctor has prescribed medicine for nummular dermatitis, make sure the person in your care gets the right dose, on schedule. 
  • Lower stress. Emotional anxiety and tension can trigger nummular dermatitis, so try to create a stress-free environment. 
  • Watch out for changes. Report any worsening of symptoms, such as oozing from sores, to a doctor. 
When caring for someone with nummular dermatitis, it's important to reinforce good skincare habits. Make sure the person is taking any medications as directed, whether it's topical ointment or oral antibiotics. Also help the person avoid triggers, such as lanolin, certain medications, long baths, or rough or tight clothing. If air conditioning or heat is needed in the house, use a humidifier to make sure the air isn't too dry.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Establishing Routines
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as eczema, is a common skin condition that affects people of all ages. It is most common in young children, thoug...
What are the treatments for stretch marks?
Stretch marks are incredibly common among growing teens and pregnant women. In fact, about 70 percen...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?