How can I treat melasma myself?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

Think of melasma as a big brown spot, so treating it with the same kind of lightening agent - kojic, lactic, glycolic, or azeleic acid or hydroquinone - can be effective. Doctos prescribe a cream with the trifecta of hydroquinone, topical steroid, and retinoid to be applied to the area once or twice a day until the pigmentation is gone (or less than a year). This plus the conscientious use of sunscreen can remedy the problem over a span of months.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
Why can topical medications cause increased skin sensitivity?
Some topical medications can increase skin sensitivity. For example, benzoyl peroxide and azelai...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?