How can I prevent melasma?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Have your hormone status checked by a doctor, and protect yourself from the sun. Sunscreen is the best prevention for any kind of hyperpigmentation, including melasma. You can try any remedy, and nothing will work if you keep going out in the sun. And if you begin using hydroquinone or retinoids, be even more vigilant with sun protection, since these medications make skin photosensitive. It's almost impossible to avoid melasma if you are prone to it, but do your best with sunscreen.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

What Causes Hives?
What Causes Hives?
Hives are red, itchy, slightly raised or swollen welts that appear on the surface of the skin. They are also known as wheals, and by their clinical na...
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?
What Causes Cellulite?
What Causes Cellulite?
What Is Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?