How can I avoid getting lamellar Ichthyosis if it runs in my family?

Lamellar ichthyosis is not a condition that you can take steps to avoid. People who have lamellar ichthyosis inherit the condition from their parents.

Lamellar ichthyosis causes the skin to be red and scaly. It starts in the outer layer of skin. A person with lamellar ichthyosis should be in the care of a dermatologist. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Risks and Causes
Hereditary angioedima (HAE) is a rare condition that causes attacks of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Darria Long-Gillespie, Senior Vice Presiden...
What are nonallergic hives?
Dr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDDr. Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Nonallergic hives or nonallergic urticaria are those types of urticaria where a clear-cut allergic b...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Causes Cellulite?
What Causes Cellulite?