How can I avoid getting Darier-White Disease if it runs in my family?

Darier-White disease (also known as Darier disease) is caused by a faulty gene. If Darier-White disease runs in your family, you may have inherited a faulty, or mutated, gene from your parents. If that is the case, there is no known way to avoid developing this skin condition, which causes wart-like blemishes. However, you can take steps to control blemishes caused by Darier-White disease. These include avoiding sunlight, heat, and humidity. Try not to rub or scratch the skin. Talk to a dermatologist about other ways to manage Darier-White disease. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
What are petechiae?
Petechiae are tiny, flat purple or red spots on the skin, caused by broken blood vessels and bleedin...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?