How can I avoid getting cutaneous porphyria if it runs in my family?

There are no lifestyle changes or medications that can prevent you from getting cutaneous porphyria. This skin condition is caused by a faulty or mutated gene. If you inherit this gene mutation from your parents, you may have an increased risk of cutaneous porphyria.

If you have cutaneous porphyria, exposing your skin to the sun may cause it to blister, change color, itch, and undergo other changes. See a dermatologist if you develop symptoms of cutaneous porphyria. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
How is Parry-Romberg treated?
There is no cure, and there are no treatments that can stop the progression of Parry-Romberg syndrom...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Causes Cellulite?
What Causes Cellulite?