How can I avoid getting cutaneous porphyria if it runs in my family?

There are no lifestyle changes or medications that can prevent you from getting cutaneous porphyria. This skin condition is caused by a faulty or mutated gene. If you inherit this gene mutation from your parents, you may have an increased risk of cutaneous porphyria.

If you have cutaneous porphyria, exposing your skin to the sun may cause it to blister, change color, itch, and undergo other changes. See a dermatologist if you develop symptoms of cutaneous porphyria. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Risks and Causes
Hereditary angioedima (HAE) is a rare condition that causes attacks of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Darria Long-Gillespie, Senior Vice Presiden...
Could my red blotchy skin be serious?
If you notice persistent red blotchy skin, and you're sure it's not an allergic reaction, it might b...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?