How can I avoid getting cutaneous porphyria if it runs in my family?

There are no lifestyle changes or medications that can prevent you from getting cutaneous porphyria. This skin condition is caused by a faulty or mutated gene. If you inherit this gene mutation from your parents, you may have an increased risk of cutaneous porphyria.

If you have cutaneous porphyria, exposing your skin to the sun may cause it to blister, change color, itch, and undergo other changes. See a dermatologist if you develop symptoms of cutaneous porphyria. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

5 Treatment Options for Chronic Hives
5 Treatment Options for Chronic Hives
Treating chronic hives can be challenging, and different treatments work for different people. Learn about five different treatment options that you m...
3 Ways to Improve Your Chances of Success When Treating CIU
CIU, or chronic idiopathic hives, can be challenging to treat, but there are a few steps you can take to improve your chances of success. Watch this v...
What Is Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?
How Are Skin Tags Removed?
How Are Skin Tags Removed?