How are lipomas treated?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Lipomas can be treated through liposuction or direct excision. In my practice, I prefer to make a small incision over the lipoma and surgical remove the lipoma as one mass.  Pathological diagnosis can also be performed as well.
If you are bothered by a lipoma, a doctor may recommend various treatments. A lipoma is a harmless skin growth formed by fat cells. In most cases there is no need to have a lipoma treated, since it poses no threat to your health. If you decide you want a lipoma removed, a doctor may suggest surgery or liposuction (a process used to remove fat from the body).

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Questions to Ask a Dermatologist About HS
Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is an inflammatory skin disorder that causes breakouts of lesions. These lesions: Can be itchy and painful Can cause...
What are razor bumps?
Razor bumps is a potentially serious type of skin irritation called pseudofolliculitis barbae. It oc...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?