Can the skin, eye, and hair color of a person with albinism change?

Yes. For some people with albinism, melanin levels can fluctuate as they age. The result is a change in skin color, eye color, and hair color with time.

Changes in skin, eye, and hair color depend on the type of albinism the person has, as well as on the individual. For example, some people with OCA 1 (oculocutaneous albinism 1) start making melanin in childhood or adolescence, so their skin, eye, and hair color may change somewhat. Other people with OCA 1 do not start making melanin, and so there is no change in skin, eye, or hair pigmentation. Some types of albinism, such as X-linked, do not tend to affect skin tone as much as vision. Still other types of albinism occur mainly among people of certain population groups;thus, skin, eye, and hair coloration may be similar among most people who have certain specific types.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
What makes the skin on my hand get hot, thicken and peel every few months?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Many factors can make the skin of one or both hands become irritated and then thicken, and then begi...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?