Does vitiligo affect children differently than adults?

Vitiligo can affect both adults and childern, but the skin treatments for vitiligo may not be appropriate for both adults and children. Corticosteroids can be used to help the skin become repigmented, but the strength of this medication needs to be lowered for children. Oral PUVA treatment is not recommended for children under age ten because they run a greater risk of developing cataracts with this treatment. It is especially important for caregivers of children who are undergoing certain treatments to make sure that children wear sunscreen, sunglasses, and protective clothing, and stay out of the sun during peak hours. Shortly after skin treatments, all people with vitiligo should be careful about sun exposure, as the skin may be especially sensitive and caratacts may develop in the eyes.
Children with lighter skin patches may be teased at school. They may also feel shy or embarrassed about their appearance. School staff, parents, guardians, and others in the community may be able to provide resources and assistance to help the child deal with his or her feelings about having vitiligo.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Prescription Therapies for Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis affects people of all ages, and millions of children and teens live with the condition. If you are the parent of a child or teen tha...
How can I tell if I have an ingrown pubic hair?
You can tell if you have an ingrown pubic hair if you develop a small, round, painful or itchy bump ...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?