What can a doctor do for stretch marks?

While there are ways to avoid developing stretch marks and many fade with time, removing them may require a dermatologist. The doctor may offer several treatment options including:
  • dermabrasion, in which the top layer of skin is essentially sanded away
  • a chemical peel, which causes the skin to blister and peel off, revealing new skin underneath
  • newer treatments that use lasers to prod your body into producing more elastin (stretch marks develop when elastin fibers are damaged, so replacing the elastin helps eliminate them)
Daniel Kapp
Daniel Kapp on behalf of MDLIVE
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery

The best approaches to treating stretch marks currently are with the use of lasers.  These lasers tend to reduce the hyperpigmentation of the stretch marks and reduce the degree to which they are noticeable. 

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

Again, the problem is frustrating for both doctor and patient since the best we can do is to diminish the appearance. Laser treatments are the best solution by far, but they involve a significant investment of time and money. Treating stretch marks requires a minimum of ten to twenty visits, and each can cost anywhere between $100 and $400. It adds up, and at best a patient may see a 50 to 80 percent improvement - which may be enough for people whose scars are very noticeable.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Atopic Dermatitis Can Hurt Your Mental Health
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as AD or eczema, is a skin condition that affects nearly 18 million adults and over 9 million children in the Uni...
What can a doctor do for skin tags?
Most skin tags are harmless and can be left alone, but if you have one that is bothersome, your ...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?