Should I talk to my doctor about my albinism symptoms?

If you think you or a family member may have undiagnosed albinism, you should talk to your doctor. Having albinism may make you more susceptible to skin cancer and other problems associated with too much sun exposure.
Sometimes, though, you may have one symptom of albinism and none of the others. Having one symptom of albinism does not necessarily mean that you have the disorder. For example, you should mention anything unusual about your eyes to an eye doctor or your child's eyes or vision to the pediatrician, but visual symptoms may be caused by something other than albinism. Similarly, if your child has very light skin, the doctor will also check your child's vision and your family history before making a diagnosis.
Yes, you should consult your physician. A doctor may be able to help with the vision problems associated with albinism, for example.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Potential Health Risks of Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD, is a chronic condition known for causing dry, irritated, itchy patches on the skin. It affects between 10 a...
What causes stretch marks?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
Stretch marks are commonly seen in children during growth spurts or in women who are pregnant. When...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?