With what skin diseases is psychodermatology considered effective?

Psychological factors are believed to play a role in a couple of common skin diseases, including psoriasis, acne, rosacea and eczema. In fact, a study found that 50 to 90 percent of patients with one of these conditions also had emotional triggers present. The appearance of both is what drives psychodermatologists. The American Academy of Dermatology also recognizes the benefits of considering the emotional aspect of skin disorders and that treating both the skin and the mind should help skin clear more quickly.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Do I Get the Most Out of a Telehealth Appointment?
In this video, dermatologist Michelle Henry, MD, covers all the things to consider for a successful telehealth appointment.
How serious is my son's erythema nodosum?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Erythema nodosum is a lumpy, tender rash due to inflammation of the tissues just beneath the skin. I...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?