How does CREST syndrome differ from other systemic scleroderma?

CREST syndrome, also known as limited scleroderma, has symptoms that are generally more isolated than in other types of systemic scleroderma. Skin changes and blood vessel constriction is usually limited to hands, lower arms and legs, although it can also appear on the face. Problems with circulation in the lungs and heart can also occur, as can liver failure. Limited systemic scleroderma doesn't usually have the same degree of widespread joint, skin, and organ damage that can result from other systemic scleroderma (hence the "limited" in its name). Even so, CREST syndrome and its symptoms can still be life-altering and, in some cases, life-threatening.

CREST syndrome or limited cutaneous scleroderma does not affect major organs (heart, lungs, or kidneys) like other sclerodermas. It also typically involves thickening and hardening of skin only on the hands, arms, and/or face, while other systemic sclerodermas are associated with patches on the legs, chest, and stomach as well as the hands, arms, and face.

CREST is a slowly progressing systemic scleroderma, affecting the skin of the legs and face first, then impacting internal organs over time. Other forms of systemic scleroderma can be much more widespread and may progress faster.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Tips for Talking to a Doctor About Embarrassing HS Symptoms
Hidradenitis (hi-drad-uh-NIE-tis) suppurativa (sup-yoo-ruh-TIE-vuh), or HS, is an inflammatory skin disorder. HS causes painful, inflamed lesions tha...
Should I worry about my health if I have stretch marks?
Nearly 70 percent of women have stretch marks, and usually they're a result of pregnancy or chan...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Causes Cellulite?
What Causes Cellulite?