What are the costs associated with atopic dermatitis?

There are several costs associated with treating atopic dermatitis. For starters there are doctor visits and prescription drugs costs. It is also likely that you will need to purchase over-the-counter ointments and antihistamines, as well as special skin products, different laundry detergent, and specially formulated moisturizers.
Managing atopic dermatitis costs about $600 per year, according to one analysis. Researchers came up with this estimate by factoring in direct costs of treating atopic dermatitis, including:
  • visits to doctors
  • prescription medications
  • hospitalization, if necessary
The researchers also considered indirect costs, such as:
  • over-the-counter medications
  • creams, ointments, or other skin lubricants
  • lost work time
The $600 annual estimate represents the average cost for treating and caring for atopic dermatitis. Your out-of-pocket costs may be different. If you are concerned about the cost of treatment for your atopic dermatitis, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
What could cause pimples and rash on my bottom and private area?
Evelyn Minaya, MDEvelyn Minaya, MD
Pimples and rashes on the bottom and in the private area can be caused by the same or different thin...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?