What kind of clothing will best protect someone with albinism from the sun?

Not all clothing protects skin from the sun. Clothing that is transparent, translucent, or has a loose weave in its fabric is not as protective as heavy, opaque clothing with a tight fabric weave. Broad-rimmed hats, long-sleeved shirts, and pants will all help protect skin from the sun's glare. For skin that is exposed, sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more should be used. Sunglasses that block both UVA and UVB rays are an essential part of outdoor clothing for someone with albinism.
As with anyone interested in protection from the sun, those with albinism should wear long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and wide-brimmed hats. Even with the extra protection of clothing, it is also important to be diligent with sunscreen.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Do I Get the Most Out of a Telehealth Appointment?
In this video, dermatologist Michelle Henry, MD, covers all the things to consider for a successful telehealth appointment.
How do I manage my cutaneous lupus erythematosus on a daily basis?
Cutaneous lupus erythematosus (discoid lupus erythematosus) only causes problems in the skin, causin...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?