How does cheilitis affect older people differently than younger people?

Most types of cheilitis affect older people more than younger people. In types such as angular cheilitis, mainly elderly people are affected because one of its main causes is dentures. In types such as actinic cheilitis, adults are affected more because they are the ones working outside and more unprotected to the sun. With contact cheilitis, it is also more common for older people to be applying lipstick or using mouthwash to get that allergic reaction that causes the outbreak.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Establishing Routines
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as eczema, is a common skin condition that affects people of all ages. It is most common in young children, thoug...
How are hemangiomas treated?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The treatment for many superficial hemangiomas is simply a "tincture of time." Many hemangiomas of t...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?