Cheilitis has different affects on different groups of people depending on the type of the cheilitis. With actinic cheilitis, men have a higher risk of developing the condition because women are more likely to apply lip balm that contains sunscreen. This sunscreen protects their lips from the harmful ultraviolet rays that cause actinic cheilitis. With angular cheilitis, elderly people are more susceptible than younger people because they make more use out of dentures. Infections of allergic reactions to denture materials are some of the main causes of angular cheilitis. Young women are more susceptible to exfoliative cheilitis because women tend to be more emotional with higher stress levels, which cause them to bite or pick their lips. These actions can easily lead to an outbreak of exfoliative cheilitis.
- Q Can cheilitis be linked to a more serious condition?
- Q Why should both men and women protect their lips with sunblock?
- Q Is there a nonsurgical option for removing carcinoma caused by cheilitis?
- Q What serious health problems can cause chapped lips?
- Q How does cheilitis affect older people differently than younger people?
- Q What is exfoliative cheilitis?