What are the causes of skin problems in children?

From time to time, things are going to pop up on your child's skin. Some may scare you. Some may concern you. Some may even amuse you: How did chocolate end up there? Our overriding message is that you should regularly inspect your child's skin with the scrutiny of an airport security guard. Check it thoroughly and pay special attention to anything that changes or looks suspicious. While there are many variations of skin problems, we like to think of them in five big categories:

1. Immune function fallout

2. Mechanical problems (part of the structure isn't working properly)

3. Infectious issues

4. Hazards of the great outdoors

5. Congenital issues (spots and stripes that your child was born with)
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Prescription Therapies for Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis affects people of all ages, and millions of children and teens live with the condition. If you are the parent of a child or teen tha...
How is Parry-Romberg treated?
Treatment for Parry-Romberg syndrome usually requires surgery to reconstruct areas of facial tis...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?