What do I need to know about caring for someone with albinism?

When caring for someone with albinism, there are two areas of focus. The first is protecting the skin from the harsh effects of the sun. The second is helping the person with the condition to cope with the potential of being isolated and psychologically mistreated. Support groups may be beneficial.

All people with albinism need regular eye and skin exams, and preventive measures against sunburn and skin cancer should be practiced. When caring for someone with albinism, you can encourage the person to get these regular exams and practice sun safety.

You should also be on the alert to any signs of repeated colds or viral infections, nosebleeds, and/or bruising, because these symptoms may mean the individual has an albinism-related syndrome.

If you are taking care of a school-aged child with albinism, be a strong source of support in case of any peer-related problems. School staff, a trained counselor, or a support group may help with this issue.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
What should I know about caring for someone with a viral skin infection?
Depending on what the viral skin infection is, you may or may not need to care directly for someone ...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?