Can sunlight cause cheilitis?

Sunlight is one of the main causes of actinic cheilitis. This type of cheilitis is caused by prolonged periods of exposure to the sun and its dangerous ultraviolet rays. These rays are what cause the premalignant keratosis of the lip. Outside workers are especially at risk for developing actinic cheilitis because of the long period of time they are exposed to the ultraviolet rays. These rays can potentially evolve the once premalignant condition to squamous cell carcinoma.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
What are the symptoms of a hemangioma?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The symptoms of a hemangioma depend on the location of the benign tumor. Most are endothelial prolif...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?