Can my regular doctor do a skin check?

Your regular doctor may be capable of examining your skin for signs of cancer and other medical conditions. However, many medical students never receive training to perform skin examinations. A 2009 survey of U.S. medical residents found that just 16% felt they had the appropriate skills to check a patient's skin for signs of cancer.

Talk to your primary-care physician about screenings for skin cancer and other skin conditions. You may also want to find out about free skin-cancer screenings offered by dermatologists in your community. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Do I Get the Most Out of a Telehealth Appointment?
In this video, dermatologist Michelle Henry, MD, covers all the things to consider for a successful telehealth appointment.
What skin concerns should I ask my doctor about?
Ask your doctor any questions you have about the health of your skin. If you have any symptoms, ...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?