Can pityriasis rosea be prevented?

We don’t really know. Since no one knows what causes it exactly, we don’t know if it can be prevented. We know that you can’t get it by touching someone with the rash and it is not caused by a bacteria or fungus. Most experts have a hunch that it’s caused by a virus (maybe a herpes virus), but no one is 100% sure yet. The good news is if you get it once, you will probably never get it again.

Because the root cause of pityriasis rosea is not known, it is difficult to point to any way to prevent the condition.

There is no known cause for pityriasis rosea, and there are no preventative measures. It is more common in teens and young adults and seems to occur more often in women. The itchy rash from pityriasis rosea goes away on its own.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Potential Health Risks of Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD, is a chronic condition known for causing dry, irritated, itchy patches on the skin. It affects between 10 a...
How should I cleanse my skin if I have a Spitz nevus?
If you have a Spitz nevus, talk to your dermatologist about the best way to wash your skin. He o...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?