Can phimosis be prevented?

The only way to prevent phimosis is circumcision. Removing the foreskin ensures that it will never become so tight that it can't be pulled down beneath the tip of the penis. In uncircumcised males, phimosis that occurs naturally in small children cannot be prevented, nor should it. Injury-induced phimosis is also unlikely to be prevented, but there are steps that can be taken to lessen your chances of experiencing it. For one, avoid activities that might cause inflammation or irritation of the foreskin. Also, keep the foreskin clean to prevent infection. Finally, don't force the foreskin of a child to retract before it's ready to do so naturally because the scarring that results can cause phimosis.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Atopic Dermatitis Can Hurt Your Mental Health
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as AD or eczema, is a skin condition that affects nearly 18 million adults and over 9 million children in the Uni...
What treatments can help for ichthyosis?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Ichthyosis is dry, flaky, scaly skin that can involve large areas of the body's surface. The scales ...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?