Can phimosis be prevented?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The only way to prevent phimosis is circumcision. Removing the foreskin ensures that it will never become so tight that it can't be pulled down beneath the tip of the penis. In uncircumcised males, phimosis that occurs naturally in small children cannot be prevented, nor should it. Injury-induced phimosis is also unlikely to be prevented, but there are steps that can be taken to lessen your chances of experiencing it. For one, avoid activities that might cause inflammation or irritation of the foreskin. Also, keep the foreskin clean to prevent infection. Finally, don't force the foreskin of a child to retract before it's ready to do so naturally because the scarring that results can cause phimosis.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

What Causes Hives?
What Causes Hives?
Hives are red, itchy, slightly raised or swollen welts that appear on the surface of the skin. They are also known as wheals, and by their clinical na...
15 Things to Record in Your Chronic Hives Symptom Journal
Living with chronic hives can be frustrating and challenging. Known by the clinical name chronic urticaria, chronic hives recur and persist for a peri...
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?