Can mental stress trigger dermatitis?

Mental stress doesn't trigger dermatitis, but it can worsen the rash if you have it. The skin, immune system, and nerves are all interconnected. So when a person with dermatitis is under stress, it can cause the body to release chemicals that can make the tissues of the skin become inflamed and itchy. Consult a dermatologist for more information.

Seek a physician’s assistance for medical concerns.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
Should I worry about my health if I have stretch marks?
Nearly 70 percent of women have stretch marks, and usually they're a result of pregnancy or chan...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?