Can clothing help prevent dermatitis?

Clothing can help protect you from contact dermatitis because it puts a barrier between you and an irritating substance. So if your hands are irritated when they are exposed to harsh detergents or chemicals, gloves can help. If you are working in an environment where the irritant is in the air all around, you may want to wear clothing that covers you completely. If you have atopic dermatitis or eczema, coarse fibers such as wool can rub against the rash and can trigger the itch cycle. Once the itch gets going, it's hard to stop it, so wearing softer clothing can help prevent setting off the itch of dermatitis.

Seek a physician’s assistance for medical concerns.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

3 Treatment Options for Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Treatment for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (cSCC) is a little different for each person. Learn about your treatment options.  
What can I do to get rid of stretch marks on my breasts?
Stretch marks don't have to ruin your décolletage. In this video, Dr. Oz explains what it takes ...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?