How can I avoid feeling embarrassed with vitiligo?

Here are some helpful tips to live confidently with vitiligo:
  • Make sure you see a dermatologist, a doctor who specializes in treating disorders of the skin, nails, and hair. While other doctors may treat vitiligo, a dermatologist may be current in the latest treatments for skin conditions.
  • Read all you can about vitiligo. Ask your doctor for patient brochures. Review the latest studies on Internet medical sites.
  • Write down your questions about vitiligo and take these to your doctor's appointment. Make sure you're doing all you can to prevent the condition from spreading, such as avoiding tanning.
  • Join a support group for people with vitiligo. Ask your doctor for information on support groups in your area.
  • Prevent injuring the depigmented skin by wearing sunscreen when you do go outside. Your doctor will tell you about the sun protection factor (SPF) you need for vitiligo.
  • Learn about cosmetics for concealing the depigmented patches of skin, particularly if they are on your face, neck, or arms.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Potential Health Risks of Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD, is a chronic condition known for causing dry, irritated, itchy patches on the skin. It affects between 10 a...
Are dermatofibromas dangerous?
Dermatofibromas are almost always harmless. The most serious symptom is minor itching. In some c...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Causes Age Spots?
What Causes Age Spots?