Are athletes susceptible to skin problems?

Many skin problems are common in athletes. Sometimes the trouble comes from sports equipment, such as helmets, shoulder pads, or headbands that rub against the skin. This can lead to acne mechanica, a form of acne triggered by heat, pressure, and friction. Athletes who exercise outdoors may be prone to sun damage if they don't protect their skin with sunscreen. Fungal infections are also common in athletes. The tinea fungus can be spread in locker rooms and public showers and may cause an itchy, red rash on the feet (athlete's foot) or in the groin area (jock itch). Talk to your dermatologist about the best ways to protect your skin when you exercise.

The athletes who participate in sports that subject them to exposure to the elements are more prone to skin problems that arise from this exposure. Frostbite, sun burn, wind burn, and injuries from falling and sliding on the ground (snow, sand, road, gravel, field) must receive appropriate care. 

Athletes can protect their skin from frostbite and sun burn by using appropriate protective clothing and lotions. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Prescription Therapies for Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis affects people of all ages, and millions of children and teens live with the condition. If you are the parent of a child or teen tha...
How is a Spitz nevus diagnosed?
A Spitz nevus is diagnosed by a dermatologist after a careful medical examination. A Spitz nevus...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?