Are there any alternatives to surgery for loose skin?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Depending upon the laxity of the skin and the direct location of skin ptosis, there may be alternatives to surgical excision. In general, however, for patients with massive weight loss, surgical excision through mastopexy (breast lift), abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), and thigh plasty are often the only choice. Specific lasers to the face in the past (CO2) have been used for mild skin laxity to tighten the fine to moderate wrinkles and submental skin (under the neck).
Stephen T. Greenberg, MD
Plastic Surgery
There really aren't any comparable procedures as effective as surgery for loose skin removal. In this video, plastic surgeon Stephen T. Greenberg, MD, explains how the sheer volume of extra skin makes non-invasive options not that effective. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Do I Get the Most Out of a Telehealth Appointment?
In this video, dermatologist Michelle Henry, MD, covers all the things to consider for a successful telehealth appointment.
What skin concerns should I ask my doctor about?
Ask your doctor any questions you have about the health of your skin. If you have any symptoms, ...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?