Are there alternative treatments for nummular dermatitis?

Nummular dermatitis is a skin condition that often involves sores on that resemble coins or may be oval-shaped. The sores may appear after a skin injury or bite. Nummular dermatitis is best treated by a dermatologist.

Over the years, some doctors have reported that people with nummular dermatitis had less itching and fewer skin sores after undergoing hypnosis. The benefits of hypnosis, a therapy that helps you feel calm and focused, haven't been well studied in formal trials involving people with nummular dermatitis. However, hypnosis won't cause any side effects, so there's little downside if you decide to give it a try. Your doctor can give you more information and advice about alternative treatments for nummular dermatitis.

There are many ways to treat or prevent symptoms of nummular dermatitis without taking medication. The most effective alternative treatment is to keep skin moisturized using gentle moisturizers, lotions, or oils. Bathing habits affect the skin of people with nummular dermatitis, so it's important to avoid extremely hot water, limit bathing to once a day, and use very mild, gentle soaps that won't irritate the skin. Also, the affected skin can be treated with cold, wet cloths.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Atopic Dermatitis: Questions for Your Pediatrician
Atopic dermatitis is a common condition that affects millions of people. Most people with atopic dermatitis first experience symptoms as children, typ...
What skin concerns should I ask my doctor about?
Ask your doctor any questions you have about the health of your skin. If you have any symptoms, ...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?