Are there alternative treatments for contact dermatitis?

There are some alternative treatments available to treat the symptoms of your contact dermatitis. To soothe your itching, place a cloth dampened with cool water or aluminum acetate on your rash. Or if your rash covers a large area, try soaking in a tub with colloidal oatmeal added to cool water.

Some common alternative treatments for contact dermatitis -- an itchy skin condition caused by a reaction to something you touch -- include preparations made with witch hazel and aloe vera. Both of these herbs are commonly used for other skin disorders. There is little scientific evidence that witch hazel and aloe vera will treat the symptoms of contact dermatitis, however. In fact, products containing aloe vera may actually cause contact dermatitis in some people.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Are There Any Lifestyle Modifications That Help HS?
There are many lifestyle changes that can help people manage hidradenitis suppurativa, says Dr. Henry. In this video, she covers strategies that may c...
What is granuloma annulare?
Kristi DarkKristi Dark
Granuloma annulare is a chronic skin condition of the dermis(2nd) layer of skin. It is usually self-...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?