Are there alternative treatment options for scleroderma?

Like many diseases, stress can cause scleroderma symptoms to flare like a sculpture at a Burning Man Festival. So the most successful alternative treatments for scleroderma include stress-reduction techniques (like meditation and relaxation techniques; yoga counts too!) and biofeedback (a means of manipulating various physiological functions at will).

In terms of alternative medicines, the best option for the treatment of scleroderma focuses on relaxation techniques intended to help patients cope with the frustration of the disease.

There aren't many proven alternative or non-medical treatments for scleroderma. However, there are certain therapies that may be helpful in reducing certain symptoms or in easing emotional frustrations. Meditation or other relaxation techniques may help reduce stress levels and make it easier to cope with scleroderma on a day-to-day basis. Staying active and exercising can also help keep muscles strong and joints flexible.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Potential Health Risks of Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD, is a chronic condition known for causing dry, irritated, itchy patches on the skin. It affects between 10 a...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with impetigo?
If you are caring for someone with impetigo, his or her doctor may tell you to take steps to hel...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?