Are all viral skin infections contagious?

Many viral skin infections are contagious, although some are more contagious than others. For example, the herpes virus is considered to be very contagious and is easily spread when people have direct contact with the sores of someone actively infected by herpes. Certain types of warts, however, are less likely to spread because it takes time and repeated exposure to the virus in order to contract the virus. Warts transmitted through sexual contact may not need this much exposure in order to spread, however.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Are There Any Lifestyle Modifications That Help HS?
There are many lifestyle changes that can help people manage hidradenitis suppurativa, says Dr. Henry. In this video, she covers strategies that may c...
How can I tell if I have an ingrown pubic hair?
You can tell if you have an ingrown pubic hair if you develop a small, round, painful or itchy bump ...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Causes Age Spots?
What Causes Age Spots?