Why are people with vitiligo more likely to develop skin cancer?

People with vitiligo are more likely to develop skin cancer because patches of their skin have lost the pigment, melanin, that protects the skin against the damaging effects of UVA and UVB rays (ultraviolet rays). Often, people with vitiligo were more sensitive to the sun than other people even before developing skin patches. Certain treatments for vitiligo (for example, oral psoralen photochemotherapy (oral PUVA)) may also increase the likelihood that a person will develop skin cancer.

This does not mean that everyone with vitiligo will develop skin cancer; many people will not. It does, however, mean that people with vitiligo should be careful about how much sun exposure they get and take measures to protect themselves from too much sun. People with vitiligo should also see a dermatologist and opthamologist regularly to ensure that their skin and eyes continue to be healthy.

People with vitiligo may be more at risk for skin cancer if they receive certain treatments for this condition. Vitiligo causes the body to lose pigment, which is the substance that gives skin its natural color. Doctors may treat vitiligo with a combination of the drug psoralen and light therapy. This combination may increase the risk for skin cancer. A dermatologist can help you to understand the benefits and risks of all treatments for vitiligo.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders Basics

What natural sun spot remedies can I try?
Lemon juice applied twice a day is a common home remedy. But be extra careful when in the sun: The l...
Are sun spots benign?
Usually, yes. Sun spots are benign most of the time, but you should consult a doctor about any irreg...
Will my stretch marks stay this red?
No, stretch marks fade over time, losing much of their vibrant color.
Why Do I Get Sun Spots?
Why Do I Get Sun Spots?