Why is melasma so common during pregnancy?

Melasma also known as the "mask of pregnancy" is an increased pigmentation of the skin in response to elevated levels of the hormones estrogen and progesterone. Women with darker completions tend to have more evidence of melasma. Some women experience Melasma in response to birth control pills that cause hormone levels to rise.

Also known as the "mask of pregnancy," melasma in pregnant woman is called chloasma. When a woman is pregnant, her estrogen and progesterone hormone levels spike. This is thought to increase the production of skin pigment for some women. Similarly, birth control pills often cause hormone levels to rise, so women taking the pill are also susceptible to melasma.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders Basics

What are common skin infections in children?
Here's a quick reference guide to skin infections common in children:Eczema, infant -- rash on face ...
How do I care for someone after surgery for phimosis?
Circumcision can be a traumatic experience, involving bleeding, pain, weeks of recovery time, and ri...
Is there a cure for phimosis?
Removing the foreskin through circumcision is the only certain cure for phimosis. However, there are...
Why Do I Get Sun Spots?
Why Do I Get Sun Spots?