What is a Wood's light exam?

Wood's light exam is a test that a doctor may use to detect skin infections and certain other disorders of the skin. To perform Wood's light exam, a doctor darkens the room and looks over the skin using a special light or lamp. (This test is also called Wood's lamp examination.) This test is painless and no preparation is necessary.
In a Wood's light exam, the doctor uses an ultraviolet light to check your skin for infections or other disorders. Vitiligo can be diagnosed by its appearance, and a Wood's light exam can help the doctor distinguish between differences in areas of the skin. It can also help detect pigment disorders like vitiligo in fair-skinned people because the ultraviolet light makes differences in pigment (melanin) easier to see.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders Basics

What should I know about topical immunomodulator therapy?
Topical immunomodulator therapy is a form of treatment that doctors may prescribe to some people...
Will my stretch marks stay this red?
No, stretch marks fade over time, losing much of their vibrant color.
How can stress cause skin problems?
Stress and skin problems can go hand-in-hand. Whether you're stressed about your job, a family membe...
Why Do I Get Sun Spots?
Why Do I Get Sun Spots?