What should I know about topical immunomodulator therapy?

Topical immunomodulator therapy is a form of treatment that doctors may prescribe to some people who have eczema. This disorder causes the skin to become dry and itchy. Eczema can also produce a red, scaly rash. Topical immunomodulator medications are applied directly to the affected skin. This medicine lowers inflammation, which may improve symptoms of eczema.

Topical immunomodulator therapy involves putting ointments on your skin that contain the drugs tacrolimus or pimecrolimus. This therapy is usually used for people with small patches of depigmented skin, rather than for people with larger, widespread areas. There is a possibility that you may be at increased risk of skin cancer or lymphoma if you get this kind of treatment; more studies need to be done to confirm what exact risks are posed by this kind of therapy.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders Basics

What activities should people with phimosis avoid?
People with phimosis should avoid any activity that will irritate, infect, or otherwise cause the fo...
What natural sun spot remedies can I try?
Lemon juice applied twice a day is a common home remedy. But be extra careful when in the sun: The l...
Why is melasma so common during pregnancy?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
Melasma also known as the "mask of pregnancy" is an increased pigmentation of the skin in response t...
Why Do I Get Sun Spots?
Why Do I Get Sun Spots?