What are the surgical options for my phimosis?

There are three main surgical options for people with phimosis. The most extreme is circumcision, which removes the foreskin completely. It generally has the most bleeding, pain, risk of complications, and recovery time of the three options, but it also is the only 100 percent cure for phimosis. Less risky and painful is the dorsal slit procedure. This involves a lengthy incision in the foreskin to make the opening large enough that the foreskin can retract. The least extreme option is preputioplasty, which is similar to the dorsal slit, except the incision is shorter. Dorsal slit and preputioplasty are less risky, but because these two options leave the foreskin attached, there is a chance that phimosis will occur again.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders Basics

What are the treatment options for phimosis?
Phimosis that occurs naturally in young children usually doesn't require treatment unless it causes ...
Why are people with vitiligo more likely to develop skin cancer?
People with vitiligo may be more at risk for skin cancer if they receive certain treatments for ...
Will my stretch marks stay this red?
No, stretch marks fade over time, losing much of their vibrant color.
Why Do I Get Sun Spots?
Why Do I Get Sun Spots?