How is skin injury diagnosed?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Because there are many kinds of skin lesions, it can be difficult to tell whether one is a result of a skin injury or a disease. In order to make this decision, doctors consider your family and health history, occupation, exposure to sunlight or radiation, drug use, and travel.

If your doctor still cannot diagnose your skin injury, he or she may take a biopsy, a section of the skin lesion for testing, or skin scrapings. A black light may also be used to check for some diseases.

To diagnose a burn, a doctor will likely ask you about your symptoms and the experience that allowed you to contract the burn. The doctor will also examine your skin. If the injury is severe, your doctor might also need to determine how much of your body is burned and how it might have affected the rest of your body.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders Basics

Will my stretch marks stay this red?
No, stretch marks fade over time, losing much of their vibrant color.
What natural sun spot remedies can I try?
Lemon juice applied twice a day is a common home remedy. But be extra careful when in the sun: The l...
What should I know about topical immunomodulator therapy?
Topical immunomodulator therapy involves putting ointments on your skin that contain the drugs tacro...
How can I change positions to avoid bed sores if I am immobile?
Repositioning yourself frequently is the most important part of preventing bed sores. If you're immo...