What are common skin infections in children?

Here's a quick reference guide to skin infections common in children:

• Eczema, infant -- rash on face first
  • Eczema, toddler -- rash first appears on inside of elbows, backs of knees, neck, behind ears
  • Psoriasis -- rash first appears on trunk
  • Contact dermatitis -- rash where sensitive skin hits offending material
  • Cradle cap -- scaly skin on head and back of neck
  • Poison ivy -- a line on an extremity with little blisters and bumps
  • Chicken pox -- bumps, blisters, and scabs -- everywhere (even on eyeballs or privates!)
  • Hand, foot, and mouth disease -- sores in these places, as well as all over body; other than syphilis, it's the only rash that shows up on palms and soles
  • Measles -- fine red bumps that form red blotches or patches, starting on the face and moving to the body
  • Scarlet fever -- sandpaper red rash that starts on trunk; caused by the same bacterial species responsible for strep throat (scarlet fever means strep with a rash)
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders Basics

How can I change positions to avoid bed sores if I am immobile?
Repositioning yourself frequently is the most important part of preventing bed sores. If you're immo...
Are sun spots benign?
Usually, yes. Sun spots are benign most of the time, but you should consult a doctor about any irreg...
How can stress cause skin problems?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
In a study at Johns Hopkins Medical School, Dr. Francisco Tausk and his colleagues sought to establi...
Why Do I Get Sun Spots?
Why Do I Get Sun Spots?