Can vitiligo be prevented?

Since the cause of vitiligo is not well understood, it is difficult to know whether vitiligo can be prevented. Genes may affect whether people develop vitiligo, as may having other diseases or disorders like diabetes and autoimmune conditions. People with vitiligo often have sensitive skin; whether or not good skin care practices will one day be proven to help prevent vitiligo is unknown, but it is always a good idea to practice sun safety. This includes wearing a sunscreen with an SPF (sun protection factor) of 30 or greater, wearing sunglasses, staying out of the sun during peak hours, and wearing protective hats and clothing.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders Basics

What natural sun spot remedies can I try?
Lemon juice applied twice a day is a common home remedy. But be extra careful when in the sun: The l...
How can I prevent blackheads, whiteheads and milia?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
All three of these pore-blocking problems can be kept in check with regular exfoliation and the use ...
How can I change positions to avoid bed sores if I am immobile?
Repositioning yourself frequently is the most important part of preventing bed sores. If you're immo...
Why Do I Get Sun Spots?
Why Do I Get Sun Spots?